The benefits of tiger nuts are greatly attained when consumed in a juice form. Tiger nut juice is extracted from tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are also known as chufa, yellow nutsedge, or earth almonds, which are not actually nuts, but rather edible tubers. They are small in size but wrinkly with a chewy texture and sweet nutty flavor similar to coconut.
Tiger nuts are rich in a variety of nutrients and have been linked to many health benefits, ranging from better digestion to a reduced risk of heart disease.
Tiger nuts are small root vegetables which comprised 80% of our paleo ancestors’ diet around 2 million years ago. This ancient superfood originates from Africa. It is currently cultivated in West Africa and Spain.
Benefits of Tiger Nuts
- May boost your immune system and helps fight infection: Tiger nut may help you boost your immune system get stronger. In one test-tube study, tiger nut extracts were tested against several types of bacteria that can infect humans. The extract was effective against E.coli, salmonella bacteria, and staphylococcus.
- May reduce blood sugar levels: Tiger nut helps to put your blood sugar levels in check. Animal studies show that tiger nut extract may help reduce blood sugar levels, due to the high fiber content of the tubers which may slow down the absorption of sugar in the gut. Tiger nuts are also rich with amino acid, arginine, which may increase insulin production and sensitivity, both of which are important for blood sugar control.
- Tigernuts are rich in nutrients: These wonderful nuts contain a variety of nutrients and beneficial plant compounds. There are three main varieties of tiger nuts, black, brown, and yellow. Their specific nutrient content depends on the type of tiger nuts. Tiger nuts are also rich sources of antioxidants, which are important compounds that protect your body against aging and diseases like heart disease and cancer. Tiger nuts also contain antinutrients, such as phytates, oxalates, saponins, and tennis which can reduce nutrients absorption in your gut.
- Tiger nuts may improve digestion: Tiger nuts are a good source of insoluble fiber, which can prevent constipation and help your food digest smoothly. Insoluble fiber adds bulk to your stools and helps food move through your gut without being digested. it reduces the likelihood of constipation. Tiger nuts may contain enzymes, such as lipases, amylases, and catalase, which help break down foods in your gut, relieving gas, indigestion, and diarrhea.
- May improve Heart Health: Tiger nuts contain a high amount of monounsaturated fats, which give them a fat profile similar to that of heart-healthy olive oil. This may also be good for your heart. Tiger nuts are rich in the amino acid arginine. Arginine can promote heart health because your body can use it to make nitric oxide, a compound that helps arteries and veins dilate, hence lowering blood pressure.
- May act as an Aphrodisiac: These wonderful nuts have a history of being used to boost libido. Men in Nigeria have used tiger nuts for generations to treat erectile dysfunction, increase sperm count, and boost libido. In a rat study, eating large amounts of tiger nuts for days increased testosterone levels, boosted sexual activity, and reduce intromission time between mating sessions.
Read also: Health Benefits of Yerba Mate
Can Tiger Nut Boost Sperm Count?
Let me throw more light on this. Yes, tiger nut boosts sperm count. Tiger nuts contain vitamin E which helps increase the quality and count of sperms.
Research has shown that regular intake of tiger nuts not only increases the sperm count but also assures the production of quality sperms.
Tiger nuts also contain zinc and vitamins which helps in the production of testosterone. Testosterone is the primary sex hormone and an anabolic steroid in males.
Tiger nuts contain omega 3 which facilitates the flow of blood to the male reproductive system. By consuming tiger nuts erectile dysfunction in men can be treated and also prevented.
Read also: How to Prepare Yerba Mate
Is Tiger Nuts Good for weight loss?
Tiger nuts are known to contain much amount of fiber, consuming fiber helps in speeding up weight loss. Fiber helps keep your gut bacteria healthy and promotes overall fat loss by reducing your appetite.
Studies have shown that eating 30 grams of fiber each day can help you lose weight. It is more preferable to get your own fiber from food not from supplements because fiber supplements are usually ineffective for weight loss.
Tiger nuts contain insoluble fiber, insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water and our bodies don’t digest it. This fiber adds bulk to your diet and fills your belly without adding extra calories to your meal.
How to make Tiger Nut Juice
I think after reading the article you will like to try and make this creamy tiger nut juice. we have put for you a fast and easy way to make tiger nut juice with little and affordable ingredients. Go on and thank us later…
Ingredients for Tiger Nut Juice
- 4 cups of filtered water plus extra for blending
- 2 cups of tiger nuts
- 1/2 cup of dates( slice the dates and remove the seeds)
- 1/2 cup of coconut( slice into pieces)
- small pilled dinger (just for a little flavor, it’s optional)
How to Prepare Tiger Nut Juice
- Place the tiger nut in a bowl or a jar, pour the water over the tiger nuts, cover, and let it soak for 24 hours. The longer they soak the softer they will be and the easier they will be when blending. If you are adding dates soak for 5 hours.
- Once soaked, pour the tiger nuts and liquid through a sieve and rinse well.
- Place the tiger nut in a blended, add the pieces of data, slices of coconut, and a small dinger, and add two cups of filtered water, a little at a time. Too much water can dilute the flavor of the tiger nuts.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy. This normally takes like 3 minutes.
- Pour into a fine sieve to separate the milk from the tiger nuts pulp.
- Place the tiger nut pulp back in the blender and add 1-2 cups of water. Blend again for a couple of minutes and strain again.
- Once you are finished you can sieve the milk again with a smaller sieve to remove the smaller particles that went through the bigger sieve and store in the fridge and serve chilled.
Tiger nuts juice is best served chilled
Tiger nuts are very nutritious. They are high in unsaturated fiber, helps to boost your immunity, good for heart health, help to boost libido, helps improve digestion, very rich in nutrients, and helps to reduce blood sugar level. Tiger nuts can be eaten raw and also blended into milk form or into juice form.