Coconut custard pie is one of the easiest pie that you can make at home. It has a creamy and soft filling with plenty of toasted coconut flakes in every bite. It is a very delicious pie that you shouldn’t miss to make.
It’s the perfect bite for a thanksgiving, holiday dinner, or any night. You can’t say no to a slice because it has a flaky, buttery crust and lightly-sweetened custard filling with plenty of toasted coconut flakes that you can’t really ignore.
What is a Coconut Custard Pie?
Coconut custard pie is made with an egg and milk/cream custard that sets up and thickens in the oven. This coconut pie is a custard, but it’s cooked on the stove and chilled until set. It will then be topped with a layer of whipped cream.
Read also: Egg Foo Young Recipe
Picture of Coconut Custard Pie
How to make Coconut Custard Pie from the scratch
As I said before coconut pie is one of the easiest pie that you can prepare at home with no much stress. It is just a simple egg custard filling that you just whisk together, then poured into a pie shell, and bake. Isn’t that simple? Here are two tips to follow to make your crunchy coconut custard pie.
Combat Soggy Crust:
Because the coconut custard is liquid when poured into the crust. if you were to use a raw dough, the bottom wouldn’t have much of a chance to brown up and the crisp, and your crust would be soggy so I will say blind baking the crust before filling gives it a head start. I also prefer to bake the filled pie on a pre-heated baking sheet, to make sure the bottom gets an extra boost of heat. so that it won’t make it soggy.
Toast The Coconut Flakes:
Sweetened coconut flakes are sweet, but they can also be a little bland in a pie like this. Toasting these coconut flakes boosts the custards coconut-ty flavor and it only takes like 8 minutes to toast them.
Choose a Sweetness Level:
Some recipes call for a full cup of sugar but I like my pie lightly-sweetened with1/2 with a cup of sugar, plus the sweetness from the coconut flakes is just enough for me. But if you like a sweeter pie you can make use of 3/4 cup of sugar or a full cup of sugar depending on how you want your pie to be sweet.
Read also: Best Okra Soup Recipe You Should Try
The time required to get Coconut Custard Pie ready?
As long as you have cooked it for about 45-50 minutes, the center of the pie is set, and the knife isn’t coated in custard then your pie is ready to leave the oven. When the top looks puffed and golden, and the tip of the knife inserted into the center of the coconut custard pie comes out clean or nearly clean.
How do you serve Coconut Custard Pie?
I personally like to top chilled slices of coconut pie with lightly sweetened whipped cream and extra toasted coconut flakes. The filling is normally soft and very creamy, so I love to contrast the crunchy toasted coconut on top of the whipped cream. You can eat the pie chilled but some people prefer eating it slightly warm, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can enjoy your pie with wine, exotic fruits, citrus fruits, almonds, and vanilla.
Can you refrigerate Coconut Custard Pie?
The answer is capital YES. This is a diary-based pie and needs to be stored in the refrigerator. But you can’t store it for more than two days because if stored more than two days the crust will be too soggy. (you can cover it with plastic wrap before storing it for up to two days.)
Is coconut custard pie good for you?
Yes, coconut pie is good because of the coconut used in making coconut flakes. Coconuts is highly nutritious and rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is classified as a ”functional food” because it provides many health benefits beyond its nutritional content.
Ingredients for a coconut custard pie
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 recipe all-butter pie crust
- 1-1/2 cups of sweetened, flaked coconut ”angle flake”
- 1-1/2 cups of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- A pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- lightly-sweetened whipped cream and extra toasted coconut flakes (for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract (this is optional if you like a fuller coconut flavor)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup of granulated sugar
Recipe for Coconut Custard Pie
- Firstly preheat your oven at 375 degrees F. Spread your coconut onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Toast for 5-8 minutes, stirring once, until your coconut is speckled with golden flakes and fragrant. Then set this aside.
- Make a blind baked, single-crust pie, in a 9-inch pie plate, doing this before filling gives it a head start to make sure the bottom gets an extra boost of heat. After the crust is prepared, place the empty baking sheet back on the rack, and keep the oven on at 375 degrees F.
- Whisk together milk, vanilla, sugar, coconut extract (if using), salt, nutmeg(optional), and eggs inside a large bowl until well combined. Stir in heavy cream and toasted coconut. Pour your filling into the blind-baked pie crust. Place a pie crust shield over the crust edges, or cover the edges with foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center of the pie, comes out clean or slightly clean. Remove the pie crust shield 10 minutes before the pie is finished baking.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate until chilled. Slice and serve with whipped cream and a sprinkling of toasted coconut flakes.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
Note: You can adjust the amount of sugar in the pie for your own sweetness preferences.
- 1/2 cup as I used in the recipe is lightly-sweetened pie
- 3/4 cup is a moderate sweetness
- 1 cup is very sweet.
It now left for you to choose which one you are in for.
Saturated fat: 10g
Vitamin A: 345IU
Note: Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.
Coconut custard pie is a creamy egg custard filling with plentiful toasted coconut. It is made with an egg and milk/cream custard that sets up and thickens in the oven. This coconut custard pie is a custard, but it is cooked on the stove and chilled until set.
It is then topped with a layer of whipped cream. With this recipe, you can make your own crunchy coconut custard just by following each procedure a step at a time. Coconut custard pie is one of the simplest pie but will take an hour plus of your time, but trust me it worth it because it tastes amazing.