Russian tea is brewed and can be served sweet, and cold, or hot. Many Russian teas are made with Tang which allows the recipe to be an ”instant” tea.
In this recipe, you can use the juice and strongly steeped tea. The flavor simmers in the slow cooker for as long as you will like it.
For tea lovers, the Russian tea tradition has a unique charm. It is sweet and bold unlike any other tea tradition in the world.
I love to sip a warm drink before bedtime, sometimes I go for tea or coffee. But at times, I make up this Russian tea recipe and let it simmer all day. Not only do I love the taste of this comforting drink, but my house will smell amazing too.
To make Russian tea it will take you a few hours for it which you need to plan ahead of time, but it will also worth it.
Russian tea is made from strongly steeped tea, like about 5 tea bags to 2 cups of hot water, pineapple juice, sugar, lemon juice, and also orange juice.
I also use cinnamon sticks and whole cloves to add flavor like no other. It is very easy to have these ingredients on hand so that can be ready to serve up warm tea any day you like it.
Benefits of Drinking Russian tea
The benefits of this Russian tea comes from the herbal preparation and the black tea or green tea that is included. The benefits of Russian tea are as follows:
- Russian tea can help in weight loss efforts and can reduce cholesterol, as well as prevent tooth decay.
- Russian tea can promote the growth of strong bones.
- Russian tea can prevent oxidative stress in various parts of the body, and encourage healthier skin due to the antioxidants found in black or green tea.
- This wonderful tea can also boost your immune system, helping to fend off everything from the common cold to more serious infections.
- As an antioxidant, this tea will help to perform as good anti-aging too. Consuming the tea can help to eliminate wrinkles and fine lines and bring a better youthful appearance.
- Russian tea also helps to improve better digestion because of the fiber content in the tea.
- Another benefit of drinking Russian tea includes helping with the detoxification process. It is believed that the herbal mixture will greatly work to flush out the toxin from the body system.
- Russian tea also brings a better relaxation feeling. It helps to bring a positive mind and feeling, mainly after a very stressful day.
- Russian tea improves sleepiness when the body gets calm. it will avoid insomnia and improve a better quality of sleep.
Read also: Moringa Tea Recipes and Its Health Benefits
Side effects of Russian Tea
Even as Russian tea has wonderful benefits it also has several possible side effects that can happen which are:
- People that are allergic to caffeine shall not consume too much of this tea. Since there is still a possible side effect after consuming Russian tea.
- Drinking Russian tea with too much-added sugar can lead to high blood levels. I suggest you replace the sugar with a sweetener in the tea.
Does Russian Tea have Caffeine?
Russian tea is prepared with black tea which does contain caffeine. You can still go for caffeine-free tea bags if you like.
Read also: Best Caldo de pollo Recipe You Should Try
How to make Russian Tea
I like to use a slow cooker to make Russian tea, but if you like you can also use a dutch oven to make your Russian tea.
Making Russian tea is quite easy with fewer procedures. Firstly add the sugar and juice to your pot and mix well.
Steep the tea bags in hot water along with the cinnamon sticks and cloves. Drain off the tea into your juice mixture. Discard the cloves and cinnamon sticks. Then lastly, add 2 new fresh cinnamon sticks to your mixed tea.
Cover your pot and allow to simmer. And you are done making your fabulous Russian tea, it will take a few hours to heat through depending on which method you are using. But as soon as your Russian tea is heated through it’s ready to drink.
Read also: Nutrients That Help Boost Natural Energy
How you can serve Russian Tea?
If you are serving with individual glasses, slice some oranges and cut them into quarters. Spare a whole clove into the orange slice and serve on top of each individual glass. It looks more attractive and adds just a hint more flavor to your tea.
But if you are having a dinner party, it is best to leave the tea in the slow cooker and allow people to serve themselves. If you fancy it you can also add cinnamon sticks and orange slices on top of the tea for a more attractive look.
Ingredients needed for Russian Tea
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 4 cinnamon sticks (divided)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 11/4 cups of pineapple juice
- 2-3 quarts hot water (to taste)
- 12 whole cloves
- 5 bags of black tea
Optional serving ingredients
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 oranges (sliced and quartered)
How to Prepare Russian Tea
- Firstly, combine the orange juice, pineapple juice, sugar, and lemon juice in a slow cooker.
- Place the tea bag, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a large measuring cup.
- Then pour the hot water over the tea bags and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea into the sugar and juice mix. Discard the cinnamon sticks and cloves that you strained out.
- Add 2-3 quarts of hot water to taste. Add 2 quarts in immediately, then add more water until you get the taste you will like.
- Add the remaining cinnamon sticks to the tea and cover the slow cooker. Cook on low until heated through.
- If you wish to garnish, slice an orange into thin slices, then halve or quarter them. Push a whole clove into the orange slice and place it on top of the tea.
- You are also free to serve the tea from the slow cooker. You can add more fancy on top of the tea with orange slices and cinnamon sticks if you choose.
Required Time to Prepare Russian Tea
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 10 minutes
Calories: 161 kcal
Vitamin A: 65 IU
Vitamin C: 20.5mg
Note: The calories above are based on the recipe serving 12 persons, with 1 serving being 1 cup of tea. The calories shown are just an estimate since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information.
Russian Tea is normally made from strongly steeped tea, sugar, pineapple juice, orange juice, and lemon juice. It is filled with wonderful health benefits and this tea also tastes great.
Moreover, with all the benefits gained from this tea, trying it out won’t be a bad idea. Reading to this point, I believe you must have gotten a clear idea about Russian tea, stay updated with related content by subscribing to our newsletter.