Do you know the easy taco dip recipe? Have you ever tried a taco dip recipe? Taco dip is one tantalizing dish that I love so much. It is so delicious and effortless to make. Taco dip doesn’t need any baking, this recipe starts with a creamy layer flavored with my favorite taco seasoning, and the flavors together are just amazing.
Taco Dip is a perfect snack to make for game day, potlucks, Mexican night, dinner parties, and many others. Taco dip is layered with so much mouth-watering goodness and it’s very quick and simple to make and everyone always wants the recipe when they try it.
You can also add your favorite toppings including tomatoes, cheese, and lettuce (i also love adding jalapenos and olives). Taco dip is perfect for dipping, crackers, pita bread, fresh vegetables, and a tortilla chip. Taco Dip is a mixture of cream cheese, taco seasoning, and sour cream, and it’s topped off with your favorite fixings.
When making my taco dips I love to use homemade taco seasoning rather than the store-bought packets. Homemade taco seasoning gives this special, more flavor and less salt compared to the store-bought packets. Taco Dip is a healthy-ish appetizer option to take to a potluck.
What makes Taco Dip a Little Healthier?
Three things make taco dip a little healthier and the three things are light cream cheese, refried beans, and homemade taco seasoning. Let me elaborate.
- Light cream cheese. I go for light cream cheese instead of the full-fat stuff because I am going to be eating this dip with lots of tortilla chips and shredded cheese, which all adds up. So I thought about it, if I wanted to cut some fat from somewhere without eliminating any flavor, using light cream cheese instead would be perfect. If you want more protein in your taco dip, you could replace half of the cream cheese with plain Greek yogurt.
- Refried beans. Some taco dip recipes use beans and some do not like mine but If you are using refried beans is not only creamy and super freaking delicious, but they are also very nutritious and contain lots of fiber which helps fill you up and hopefully keep you from consuming so much. You can choose to use refried black beans if you prefer but some use refried pinto beans.
- Taco seasoning. This is the most important ingredient in your taco dip, without it, everything would be so boring and bland. To keep this dish on the healthy side, use homemade taco seasoning that is free of fillers, added sugar, funky ingredients, and preservatives. Homemade taco seasoning is quite easy to make and it is very customized depending on your tastes. If you want it spicier, you can add chili powder, if you want it smokier you can add smoked paprika instead of the regular. But if you choose to get the store-bought taco seasoning, get one made without sugar or fillers like potato starch or corn starch.
Read also: Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
Best Tip for Taco dip 7 Layer
Taco dip 7 layers in cold dips that contain cream cheese can often become quite firm if it is chilled. If this happens it can make your dips very difficult to scoop and may result in broken chips. To avoid this and to make sure your cream cheese is perfectly dippable, delicious, and scoopable, always beat the cream cheese with a mixer until fluffy and light. You can also mix it with a spoon but using a mixer ensures a soft and fluffy dip every time. This recipe is so easy, even a first timer in the kitchen can get it right while making it.
Read also: How to Make Garlic Butter
What Goes in Taco Dip Recipe?
One wonderful thing about this recipe is that there is only one creamy layer to add, then it is topped with ingredients that can be sprinkled. Isn’t that amazing?
You can use any toppings of your choice, Some Topping ideas:
- Shredded lettuce (iceberg)
- Green onions
- Black beans
- Cheese (pre-shredded to make it fast)
Taco dip is prepared in one dish in about 5 minutes. It’s so simple right?. You can even turn this into beefy taco dip if you add lean ground beef taco meat on top of the creamy layer.
How to make Taco Dip
When you are making your taco dip, use a hand mixer to make the cream cheese layer soft enough to be scooped up effortlessly. You are fine to use reduced-fat products if you prefer because this recipe is a dip and doesn’t need to ”set up” or hold it’s shaping.
Read also: Fajita Seasoning Recipe
How long can you Store Taco Dip?
Make sure your taco dip doesn’t sit out on the counter for more than 2 hours. Keep your taco dip covered in the fridge if you want to eat some later in the day. Taco dip can last in the fridge for 3-4 days
Can you make a Taco Dip ahead of Time?
You can mix the cream cheese, taco seasoning, and sour cream together. Store this mixture in the fridge the night before you need to serve it. Prepare the rest of the ingredients and keep them separate and in the fridge until you are ready to mix the dip and serve.
Why is my Taco Dip Runny?
Food processors liquefy water-heavy vegetables, such as tomatoes or onions, leaving the dip thin and runny. So you can skip the food processor. Mix the dip by using your hand using a fork instead of a food processor. Gently mix, don’t mash, your diced ingredients to make the dip.
Required Time/Servings for Taco Dip Recipe
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade taco seasoning)
- 11/2 cups of sour cream
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
Toppings (choose your best)
- green onion
- iceberg lettuce
- shredded cheddar
- tomatoes (diced)
Method of Preparation
- Mix cream cheese with a hand mixer on medium, until fluffy.
- Add your sour cream and taco seasoning and mix to combine well.
- Spread your mixture into a dish ( any size of dish).
- Top your taco dip with any desired toppings and serve. Enjoy!
- Calories: 120 Kcal
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 90mg
- Potassium: 66mg
- Sugar: 1g
- Vitamin A: 440IU
- Vitamin C: 0.2mg
- Calcium: 50mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
Taco dip is one tantalizing dish that I love so much, it is so delicious and incredibly easy to make. Making taco dip doesn’t require baking, this recipe starts with a creamy layer flavored with my favorite taco seasoning, and the flavors together are just amazing.
Taco Dip is a perfect snack and appetizer to make for game day, potlucks, dinner parties, Mexican night, and many others. Taco dip is layered with so much mouth-watering goodness and it’s very quick and simple to make and everyone always wants the recipe when they try it.
Taco dip recipe is also nutritious because of some ingredients used in making it. Why not try this wonderful recipe and trust me you won’t regret it because it’s wonderfully delicious!